Saturday, May 4, 2013

Grey Bird Design

Here's a recent logo I made for a super cool friend of mine in South Africa. It was a nice time working on this logo. A fan of my work, he wanted to leave the design up to me. To get my inspiration flowing, he told me he was a big fan of traditional archery and printmaking, and I already knew that he was a fan of my hand lettering, specifically my "Thank Ya Kindly" design.

Combining the feel of the cursive-hand-written-script style of 'Thank Ya Kindly", printmaking, and archery, plus the name "Grey Bird Design", produced the logo below. Lots of fun.




I also wanted to provide a black and white version of the logo. This will come in handy any time he needs to print one-color, or make a water mark or engraving.


Here is sort of a primitive step-by-step process of how I came about drawing and designing the type for the logo. First step is a pencil sketch, second step is inking the type by hand, third is making a vector drawing of the type in Illustrator, and finally sprucing it up in Photoshop.




And finally, here is look into the process of making the wee bird:









1 comment: